Jackson Pollock and Splatter Painting: A New York Summer Visit

I always look forward to holidays with Taatu as she is a wonderful travel companion, always eager to see new things. During our recent trip to the US and Argentina, Taatu did not disappoint. She had full-on sunny disposition (except when queueing up at immigration or for security checks) and was sometimes providing insightful view of her new surroundings!

Here are some Taatuisms from the trip:

1. While at the Metropolitan Museum, looking at the mummies at the Egyptian civilization section: Wow, creepy! And do they walk like this? (stretching her two arms forward ala Thriller/ zombies waking up from the dead)

2. At the modern art section, reacting to Jackson Pollock's Autumn Rhythm: Is that a splatter painting? I can also do that. I can just mix white and black paint in a bucket and splatter on the wall.

Jackson Pollock's Autumn Rhythm
3. At the impressionist/renaissance section upon seeing Monet and Van Gogh: Mama look! This is the same as what we have at home (we have small print copies which I bought from Met the Shop sometime back). Isn't it amazing that we have the same thing....but why are they trying to copy what we have at home! (Talk about perspective :-))

4. On the flight: Mama what is business class (versus economy/coach)? Is it a class that teaches business like how to sell lemonade or have a garage sale?

5. At Frankfurt airport, one of the rare times she was grumpy because of the anticipated long queue at the security check: Security check is boring. Immigration is boring.

6. From specific complaints, she extended her grunt to general issues: You and Bubba always squeeze me like a lemon. You always set the rules! 

7. Along 5th Avenue, upon seeing a man who dropped a cigarette butt on the road: Why is that man littering? Why is he dropping the white stick on the road? (this is from a kid who lives in Singapore)

8. Upon waking up one morning: I was upset when I woke up today. (I asked why). Because I was having a nice dream (Arthur and DW, her favorite program of the month) and then I woke up.

9. After scoring nice seats for her first broadway show, she promptly slept during the latter half of Mary Poppins. The following day I asked what was her favorite part of the play: Mama l like that part when the cook was chopping vegetables, chop, chop, chop...wasn't that funny? And she kept on repeating this throughout the next day. Which made me conclude that her sense of humour slants to the slapstick - I thought this was not from my side of the family tree until my dear niece nicely corrected me: hello Tita, your twin nieces also love slapstick humour!


Mary Poppins' Opening Curtain

10. After the immigration officer checked our passports at JFK, and it was Taatu's turn for the camera: Is it my turn to smile? :-)

Now this is one part I am also guilty of doing - when it was my turn, I smiled at the immigration camera which I always do anyway, until I saw my husband giving me a strange look!


Popular posts from this blog

Pinto Art Museum: A Must-Visit Art Destination in Philippines

Bhutan: Windows and Doors of Bhutan (Land of Happiness)

The Lotus Pond at Gardens by the Bay